LEADERSHIP BY EXAMPLE OR LEADERSHIP BASED ON CIRCUMSTANCES WHICH WAY FORWARD FOR NIGERIA
Definition of leadership
Leadership is the act of motivating a group of people to act towards achieving a common goal.
The leadership definition captures the essentials of being to inspire others and being prepared to do so. Effective leadership is based upon ideas.
Simply put, leader in the inspiration and director by the action. He or she is the person in the group that possesses the combination of personality and leadership skills that makes others want to follow his or her direction.
Definition of leadership in ten (10) ways
- Vision: leading means having a vision and sharing it with others only when you get to inspire others; it is possible to share a common goal towards which to direct the efforts and dedication of the entire team.
- Motivation: the leader knows how to motivate better than anyone else, lit is one of their main functions as people managers. Through motivation, the leader channels the energy and professional potential of their co-workers, in other to achieve the objectives.
- Serving: the leader is at the service of the team and not their other way around. Group members must have reel the support of their leader, the tools needed to do their jobs properly must be available to them.
- Empathy; one of the basic qualities of any leader seeking success is precisely emotional intelligence, that ability often innate that makes leaders put themselves in the place of others, understand their concern and solve problems.
- Creativity: the definition of leadership also has to do with creativity. God leaders are able to create an environment that will encourage all the members of their team to develop their skills and imagination. So that they can contribute to the common project and vision of the company.
- Thoroughness: A good leader sets the bar high for their people, because they want to reach the goals and make the best of their teams. Only a demanding leader will achieve great results in addition to this thoroughness, the leader must know how to listen, in other to know the needs of the people and then provide the necessary time and resources for them to do their job properly.
- Taking Risk: the leader is the one responsible for taking the risk that others are not willing to take. They are confident enough to make a decision and if they make a mistake, the leader must have the courage to reify assume their guilt and take the right path, without blaming it on the team, and leaders know how to get ahead of their team, they see opportunities where others can’t and know how to spread the enthusiasm for their vision to try to make it real.
According to Dubin, R. leadership is the exercise of authority and making of decision.
According to Charles Handy (1992) said “A leader shapes and shares a vision which gives point to the work of others.
According to Rosalynn Carter, U.S first lady said” A manager takes people where they want to go. A great leader takes people where they don’t necessarily want to go, but ought to be”.
Leadership (according to John sculley) revolves around vision, ideas, direction, and has more to do with inspiring people as to direction and goals than with day-to-day implementation.
A leader must be able to leverage more than his own capabilities. He must be capable of inspiring other people to do things without actually sitting on top of them with a check-list”.
Definition of leadership by example
If you’re in leadership, then you know what you have a responsibility to your team. They look to you for guidance and strength; that’s part of what being a leader is. And a big part of your responsibility is to lead them with your own actions.
So, why is it so important to lead by example; and what happens when you don’t?
Making sure you “walk the walk”. Theirs is an old saying about the difference between a manager and a leader, “managers do things right but leaders do the right things”. It’s best to be both a manager and a leader.
As a leader, part of your job is to inspire the people around you to push themselves and in turn, the company to greatness. To do this, you must show them the way by doing it yourself. Stop and think about the inspiring people who have changed the world with their examples; consider what “mahatma Gandhi” accomplished through his actions, he spent most of his adult life living what he preached to others. He was committed to non-violent resistance to protest injustice and people followed his footsteps. He led them, and India to independence, because his life proved by example, that it could be done. Although Gandhi’s situation is very different from your, the principle is the same. When you lead by example you create a picture of what is possible. People can look at you and say, “well, if he can do it, I can do it”. When you lead by example you make it easy for others to follow.
Leaders by circumstances
Leader by circumstances is looking about the two leaders Goodluck Jonathan and Muhammadi Buhari.
Goodluck Jonathan was a good man but despite all the challenges
Leadership based on circumstances
Leader is leadership based on conditions or leaders based on situation. Now if a leader is found in a position where is has no choice than to do the wrong thing and he end up doing the wrong thing has a leader is acting based on the situation, but if he ends up doing the right thing in that bad situation or in that situation that is actually treating is a leader by example than it is no more a leader based on circumstance but being a leader based on situation means that you are acting based on the circumstances surrounding your leadership so is either you do good because is circumstances call.
Join to be good or you do badly because the circumstance calls you to do badly. Meanwhile leadership by examples means that on is always doing the right thing whenever he is on any circumstances that is always holding on to good character, good treats as a leader to lead is people well. No circumstances or situation, or condition changes his mindset of what leadership is. But for the other one, the person is either cribling, he can either say yes today or No tomorrow because he has found clumsy in a wrong or treating situation where is life is at stake and he ends up doing the wrong thing.
But leadership by example means you are always doing the right thing in which ever condition you find yourself leaking up to Nigeria as a country leadership by example, based leadership by circumstance which were forward, will see that over time in Nigeria one of the leader will have are been leadership based on circumstances, that is they do right things only when the circumstances give them the opportunity to do but if the circumstances they are faced doesn’t give them the opportunity to do the right they not minding the fact that they are actually leading the people anuce so the only way forward for Nigeria is for us to have leaders by examples who will stick in doing the right things, no matter what happens, no more what condition they find themselves I, trying to look for a way forward bringing in new ideas, that will make Nigeria better that will make the economy more from where it was before to where they are actually hoping or trying to see it go to in the next years to come. So I think leadership by example is the best for our country Nigeria.
Okey let’s give an illustration if a road safety officer has an emergency and needs to get to somewhere in a hurry and comes in contact with the traffic lights and disobey the traffic light, instead of waiting for the green light to pop-up he quickly zooms off without observing and obeying the traffic light, what do you think the rest of the driver who saw the disobedience of the road safety officer would do, they will definitely want to join him disobey the traffic light. And you know what it can lead to damages /loss of lineces and so on. Same thing applies to Nigeria. So as a leader will have to work on himself first, because everybody is born with the spirit of leadership in him / her, the only thing there is for us to work it out, and for us to lead these country by examples not by circumstances, we should just lead by examples because definitely it will take us to a better place where we all want to be.
Please kindly use the comment box below and tell us your view.